PizzaExpress Dough Balls
Prep time: 1 hour | Cooking time: 6 mins | Makes: 2 portions
- 150ml warm water - roughly 27 degrees
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 15g fresh yeast or 2 level tsp of dry yeast
- 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
- 1.5 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp of butter
- 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic
- Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast into warm water.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a warm place
- (we find a windowsill on a sunny day works best) until froth develops on the surface.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Lightly flour your hands, and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind.
- Generously dust your surface with flour.
- Throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft.
- Leave dough to rest until soft to the touch but not too springy - about 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Then, it’s ready to roll. Roll dough into one long 1.2m tube. Chop into 16 chunks and place in an oven proof pan.
- Leave Dough Balls to rest in pan for 30 mins then bake in the oven for 6 minutes until golden.
- Now for the garlic butter. Mix 4 heaped teaspoons of butter with 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic.
DOPPIO DOUGH BALLS + PETER'S PESTO IS LIVE 9 out of 10 people LOVE Dough Balls... but the 10th person is always lying Check out our stories and Pizzaexpress.com/homemade-favourites for all recipe details. Don't feel like baking? Pick up a pack of our retail Dough Balls available at your local supermarket. Easy Peasy #HomemadeFavourites #Recipe #DoughBalls